Introduction to an Aspiring Dermatologist

Hello, everyone! I figured if y'all are going to be reading my blog posts all semester that I should probably tell you a little bit about myself. 

Hi! My name is Libby Helm and I am from Dallas, Texas (for all my Dallas people--I grew up in Carrollton, now I live in Coppell). My declared major is Chemical Biosciences (Pre-Med) but I have been teetering between medical school and PA school. If I decide PA--which I *think* I am leaning towards--then I will switch to a Planned Program major, which will mirror Chemical Biosciences very closely. So, yes, my major is very complicated! However, the end goal is the same: to become a dermatologist. Here is a summed up version of why:

As a child I had gotten acne long before any of my peers did, while moles and freckles covered my body, as they did my father's. Earlier diagnosed with Basal Cell Carcinoma, which turned into Melanoma, my father had to undergo surgery to remove the cancer. Between the premature acne and suspicious moles, my parents decided it was time for me to see a dermatologist. 

During my first visit, I was prescribed with a high dosage of medication to help treat and prevent acne while also getting two moles removed--one on my shoulder and one between my toes (yes, it did hurt!). My body reacted to the removal by forming keloids, which are discolored mounds of scar tissue. The gigantic scar on my back was the bane of my existence starting in middle school and continued through early high school. 

Then, puberty hit and my acne worsened: yearly check-ups turned into monthly treatments, one pill turned into two, and insecurities turned into depreciation. However, the dermatologist's office became my second home, a place where the doctors and nurses were only there to help me, not judge me; they made me feel comfortable in my own skin (literally). So, becoming a dermatologist is my way of giving back to the people and community who made me feel beautiful and confident and helped my dad overcome Melanoma!

Now that you know all about my future goals, I'll briefly talk about my present experiences. I am starting my second year at OU, but I will be classified as a second-semester Junior this semester. I came in with lots of AP and dual credit, putting me way ahead. So, I am expected to graduate next fall! So exciting!

During my first year, I really enjoyed watching softball, basketball, and gymnastics, but mostly football. I even met Lincoln Riley--but I was so starstruck that I couldn't even mutter a word to him, haha! 

(Photograph taken on my phone: my friends, me, and Lincoln at Rudy's)

I also found a community and family at Wildwood Community Church. I am a member of College Life, and this semester I will be leading a small group for 6th grade girls and working with preschoolers some Sunday mornings. I am so excited! 

I also started volunteering at the Children's Center Rehabilitation Hospital in Bethany in the spring. Sadly, I only got one shift in before COVID hit and I do not think I will be able to volunteer this semester either, which is devastating.

Lastly, this fall I will be a PTA for the Pre-Nursing Gateway class with my Gateway instructor, so I am very excited for that!

When I am not doing school or any of the hobbies/extracurriculars I stated above, I am found either in Dallas visiting my parents or in Fayetteville visiting my boyfriend, Dustin. 

(Photograph taken on my phone: Dustin and I)

During school breaks, my family usually travels to new places or to our condo in Tampa, Florida. However, with COVID, we aren't able to do that, which breaks my heart.

(Photograph taken on my phone: my family in Paris summer 2019)

So, that is just a little summary of me and my life! I look forward to meeting y'all and hearing any cool or interesting stories y'all share. Thanks so much for reading! 

Comments

  1. What a story, Libby! I am so glad your childhood challenges are helping you figure out where you want to go in your life. (For me, I was bored out of my mind in school... so it became my life's mission to find ways to try to make school not-be-boring!) And how great that you are working with those grade-school students and preschoolers: hopefully you can learn lots of stories in this class that will help you with them, and also in working with your Gateway students. Wonderful! Because really, at least IMO, you can never have too many stories ready to go for any and all occasions! And, of course, FRANCE: perhaps you will want to do a French Storybook project for this class. There are so many beautiful French fairy tales, and the word "fairy tale" itself goes back to a French writer, Marie-Catherine Le Jumel de Barneville, Baroness d'Aulnoy... and here are d'Aulnoy's French fairy tales (in English). Endless stories, and i hope you will enjoy the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, my name is Rachel. Your story is incredible, and I think it’s wonderful that you want to give back and help others with the similar struggles. I think it’s great that your family travels. Ah, Paris. That is one of the top places on my list to visit.

    I noticed that you are a part of a church and that’s amazing. I thought you’d be interested to know I’m a part of a Christian sorority, Sigma Phi Lambda. We are a group of young women who want to be a positive light on campus, and a great community for other young Christian women to find new friends in Christ. If you are interest, check out our Instagram page as well as come to our recruitment nights Sept. 2nd at OU BCM building located near the dorms at 7 or Sept 3rd in the Molly Shi Ballroom in the Union at 7. Here you will learn more about who we are and what we do.

    Thank you for your nice comment on my blog. Yes, my current book that I’m writing is a fantasy book. It's a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, and it involves the Celtic folklore creatures known faeries. I think that’s wonderful that you love Toy Story. I’m a Disney and Pixar fantastic and understand the love of a great movie. My favorite from Pixar is Monsters Inc.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Libby! I loved reading your story and getting to know you a little better! I totally understand having to visit the dermatologist often, melanoma runs in both sides of my family, and my grandfather even passed away from it, so my brother and I had to start going to the dermatologist at a very young age a couple of times a year and have even had to get some spots removed ourselves. I love that you've decided to turn a hardship in your life to something good so that you can help others! That's truly beautiful and says so much about you as a person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Libby, I'm sure you'll be amazing in whichever field you choose! Both being a PA and a doctor have their pros and cons I'm sure you'll figure out what's best for you! And wow you're being really involved in the community, that's amazing! Covid has really disrupted a ton of stuff, but it's great that you're still being to be a pla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Libby! I liked listening to your story. I'm sorry you had to deal with so much in the middle school/high school years! I know how stressful those times can be. It sounds you endeavored to persevere and found your calling, so that is really awesome. I bet you'll be a great dermatologist one day :) that's also incredible that you are graduating so soon, congratulations! The time flies by, try to appreciate every day at OU. I hope you have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Libby,

    I also struggled with acne for awhile, so I think it's so cool that you want to be a dermatologist. You'll understand how your patients are feeling, so I bet you'll be great at making them feel comfortable when they come to you!
    I'm so jealous that you've been to Europe! I was planning on going this year, but COVID :(((
    At least when traveling picks back up, we'll be even more thankful to visit beautiful places. Best of this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Libby!

    I think it's great that you've turned what was once a personal struggle into a motivation for you. I have absolutely zero experience with dermatology, but they clearly play a very important role in some people's lives. I hope you get to fulfill your goal and play that important and helpful role in someone else's life. Congrats on coming in with extra credits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Libby,
    I really enjoyed reading through your introduction blog and getting to know you! I think it is awesome that you turned something that is close to your heart into your career. I hope your time at OU will prepare you for the future. I look forward to reading through some of your creative pieces this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Libby!
    I think that is awesome that you know what you want to do! Being a dermatologist would be so awesome. I wish I had the drive to do something so challenging like that. I think you have an awesome story and I know being a teenager can come with lots of insecurities. I think the fact that getting such nice doctors for yourself makes you want to do that is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Libby! It is so cool that you want to go into dermatology. That is what my girlfriend wants to do. I am also pre med with a planned program but if you go pa that is going to be awesome too. It is really cool that you have gotten to travel I hope to travel more whenever I get some more free time and hopefully the world goes back to a normal that I can recognize.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it is so cool that you want to be a dermatologist. You could be the next Dr. Pimple Popper!! I am glad that you are so passionate about dermatology and I love how you have a personal connection to it because of your past issues with acne. I also want to be in the medical field and in health professions when I am older. I think they are all great jobs and are necessary for the well-being of people. I loved learning about you and your passions and hope you are very successful in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Libby (love your name)
    I'm currently a 5th year senior with a HES/pre-PA major! I definitely understand the complications of your major, it can be difficult to navigate all the intense science courses we're required to take. I'm currently in Chem 2 and taking OChem next semester (biiiig yikes). I love your reasoning why you want to be a Dermatologist, I think physicians with a strong motivation make some of the best physicians! I volunteer at the Children's Hospital in OKC under the Child Life Department and I absolutely love it, but COVID really messed up all volunteer opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Libby! I love the matching pajamas with your boyfriend. So cute! That is so great that you want to help others with a similar issue that you had. I think that is really cool because you truly understand how your patients must be feeling. I hope you have an awesome sophomore year! I wish you luck in your future endeavor into PA school or medical school. You will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Libby!! I am also Chemical Biosciences Pre-Med, but I have thought about PA also. That's very cool you want to volunteer at Children's Rehabilitation Center. My home church (I'm from OKC) partners with them to stream a service on Sunday mornings. What classes are you taking this semester? I wish you the best of luck going forward!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Libby! I think that's awesome you want to be a dermatologist- that's my goal too. We actually have really similar stories! I'm from Coppell as well, and growing up I had bad acne and my mom had tons of different skin cancers. Whichever path you pick, PA or med school, I hope you get to achieve your goal. Best of luck with everything moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Libby,
    I always heard to be a doctor is relatively more difficult in American than in many other countries. But I would say to be a dermatologist and help others would be an excellent choice! I also think that COVID-19 is the worst thing that makes us could not travel outside. Hopefully, the pandemic would end soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Libby, first off I wanna say that I hope you're having a good semester, even with all that's going on! Second, whichever direction you go in regards to a career you'll undoubtedly be good at it! We need a lot more compassionate and understanding people in the medical fields, for sure! That said, I'm incredibly jealous that you were able to go to Paris! I want to go out of the country so bad, especially to Canada right now because that's where my girlfriend's currently at. But I also want to go to Germany and Rome, so those are definitely on my bucket list for when, hopefully, this pandemic ends.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Libby,

    To start off, i just want to commend how hard of a worker you are! I can tell you're very passionate about school and set goals with plans to reach them. I also came in with a ton of credits and can graduate next fall BUT I'm too scared to i'm not going to. I also really relate to you on frequent dermatologist visits- i'm covered in freckles and my dad has had countless procedures to have things removed. not fun. You and your boyfriend are precious!! Have a great semester and I wish you so much success!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 7 Story: The Real Story of the Lovers' Leap