A Perfectionist's Perspective on Growth Mindset

If you couldn't tell from my Introduction blog post, I am indeed a perfectionist. The thing that keeps me motivated is the idea of becoming the best version of myself. For example, I want to be intelligent, fit/healthy, and have a close relationship with God; so, I work hard to earn good grades, try to workout 4-6 times a week and eat healthy, and constantly pursue God on a daily basis through prayer and devotion. I just want to be the very best version of me that I can be. 

I had never heard of Carol Dweck or growth mindset before, but after watching the videos, I was intrigued. I never really took the time to stop and think about how my mind was processing progress and/or achievements. As a perfectionist, I feel like I fall in the middle of the spectrum. When I do fail at something, I get really frustrated and angry that I couldn't accomplish it; however, I feel like personally, I also can accept that as long as I gave it my all--even if I failed--that it is okay. I am also able to take my failures and learn from them. 

For example, when I miss a really easy question on a test, because I got it wrong, I will always remember the answer to that question. But at the same time, I get so angry at myself for missing it and telling myself I should've done better. In the video, Carol Dweck mentioned how people will look to find someone who did worse than them to feel better. And to be completely honest, there are lots of times I find myself doing that, as well.

With that being said, I sincerely hope to change that fixed mindset this semester by remembering that I don't have to be perfect all the time. This will especially important as I take on Intro to Biochemistry, which I am very scared for. So, my goals for this semester are to be happy with being imperfect because that means I can only grow.

(Picture from A Good Man to Know)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an Aspiring Dermatologist

Week 7 Story: The Real Story of the Lovers' Leap