Feedback Strategies: How to be a Nice Critic

 The first article I read was "How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being  a Jerk" by Adam Grant. What immediately stuck out to me about this article was how Grant said a complement sandwich is not a very effective way to give feedback. This really took me aback because that is my go-to strategy. However, after considering his explanations of why they aren't effective, I have to agree. Like Grant said, I think it's important to explain why you are giving the feedback and to take yourself off of a pedestal. It's easier for someone to take feedback when they know that this person cares and is on the same level as them.

The second article I read was "The Difference Between Praise and Feedback" by Anya Kamenetz. I really like her article because I had never though of a difference between process praise and person praise. The idea of praising someones process/hard-work rather than their talents/personality can make a total difference, yet it is only a few words different. It has challenged me to rethink the way I praise people. I also like how she suggested to ask a question rather than state negative feedback. I will definitely be using these strategies in the future!

Again, I feel better prepared to be giving feedback to my fellow classmates for the rest of the semester. I really hope I can give constructive feedback while still encouraging them to do their best.

I found this cartoon on the Feedback padlet and I thought it was so cute and touching while also serving as a great reminder! Enjoy :)


(Cartoon from Feedback Padlet)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an Aspiring Dermatologist

Week 7 Story: The Real Story of the Lovers' Leap