Feedback Thoughts: Week 2

 Feedback is both a dream and a nightmare. I am always longing for feedback on my work to see what my strengths and weaknesses are, but I am always so afraid to confront my weaknesses. In one of my previous blog posts, I talk about how being a perfectionist has sort of hindered a growth mindset for me. While I hope this class will help me overcome that, I need to also put in effort on my own time to fix it. The two articles I read have really inspired me to take action.

The first article I read was "Seven Ways to Crush Self-Doubt in Creative Work" by John Spencer. I really liked this article because I am indeed my own worst critic and self-deprecation is one of the biggest obstacles I face in my life. I felt like the tips he shared are very relevant to my life, like how I shouldn't compare myself to others and to abandon my perfectionism. 

I saw this tweet the other day that reminds me of the picture I have inserted below: it said something along the lines of "It's crazy how I hate myself so much but still think I am better than everyone else." And as much as I hate to admit it, it's true. Comparing myself to others only leads to me being arrogant or depressed. If I want to live a healthier life, I need to stop!

(Drawing on Comparing Yourself to Others from John Spencer)

The second article I read was "Why rejection hurts so much" by Guy Winch. I liked this article as well because it kind of ties in the concept of the last article and what my two pastors have been talking about: the two things your mental health needs is self-love and community. Rejection hurts so bad because we were designed to live in community! But we also need to learn to love ourself before we can love others.

Looking back on my life, there are many times when negative feedback has ruined my day. One of the biggest examples I can think of is sports. Whenever my coaches would tell me I was playing bad or criticize me, I would shut down. I hated the fact that I was disappointing them. However, as I have gotten older, I feel like I am more able to use the negative feedback to grow and learn. Yes, I might cry first, but I feel like I can usually take the opportunity to reflect on what I did and how I can improve.

I am not perfect (even though I strive to be) but that is okay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an Aspiring Dermatologist

Week 7 Story: The Real Story of the Lovers' Leap