Week 3 Story: The 2-Part Miracle, Told by Joseph the Camel

As we entered Bethsaida, my master was stopped by a crowd. He hopped off of me to come face-to-face with a blind man. My master took his hand and helped the man up onto my back. He led me and his followers out of town with this blind man to a spot right off the highway.

It was then when my master helped the blind man down and faced him. My master spit in his eyes and rubbed it in. The man cried out in surprise and disgust. But when my master removed his hands from the man's eyes, the blind man gasped in disbelief.

My master asked, "What is it? What do you see?"

The blind man pondered for a second before replying with, "I see trees walking. The men look like trees. They are trees walking!"

My master spit in the blind man's eyes once more, rubbing it in again. The blind man was taken aback again, but did not shout this time.

When my master removed his hands for the second time, he asked again, "What do you see?"

The blind man began to tear up. "I see clearly. I can see! Thank you, Jesus!"

But my master quickly hushed him. "Do not go back to that town. Do not tell anyone of what I have just done."

The blind man had a confused look on his face, but it was soon replaced with the biggest smile I had seen in a long time. The blind man thanked my master again and took off towards a new town and a new future.

This was not the first time I had witnessed my master make someone this happy. Just in the previous town, people were touching his robe and suddenly becoming like a new person. I had even heard some people mutter how he is the Son of God. As for me, I usually just mind my own business, following my masters' orders.

My master then hopped on my back and led me and the twelve others to the capital, Caserea. During our journey, my master stopped and asked the twelve men, "Who do people say I am?"

They all replied with, "Men think you are John the Baptist while others say Elias or a prophet."

Jesus frowned. "Who do you think I am?"

The twelve went silent. What felt like years of silence was finally broken by one man, I think they call him Peter.

"You are the Christ." And the others murmured in agreement.

Ding, ding, ding! Peter was right! I couldn't wait to hear the joy come from my mast--

"No! You are wrong, Satan! You must not call me that and you surely must not tell another soul!" 

The twelve went silent again, and no one spoke for the rest of the trip.


(Drawing of Camel and Arab from Dreamstime)

Author's Note: This story is based off of the Gospel of Mark. I did not create any part of this story. I simply retold it from the perspective of Jesus' camel.

Bibliography: "The Loaves and the Fishes Again" from the Gospel of Mark. Web source.

Comments

  1. Hi Libby,

    I like the idea of telling the story from Jesus' camel! You also picked a nice story and it was very easy to read. I would be interested to see if you could make it more obvious that you're using the camel perspective. If it wasn't in the title, I think I would have missed that part. Maybe you can add in some of the camel's thoughts about traveling and being lead around by Jesus. Or maybe the camel can react to what is happening in front of them! I wonder what camels think about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Libby!

    I have never heard this story before. I really enjoyed it. I was surprised to see at the author's note that the story was in the camel's perspective. I think that is a really cool idea. I was confused why and how this was a master. I think I did not realize that it was from the camel's perspective however until I read the note. Overall, great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Libby, this is such a unique way of telling this story. I grew up reading this story, but I have not even thought about it from a different perspective. If you wanted to expand the story, you could write more details about the camels perspective. Since it is so close to the original, you want to differentiate as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an Aspiring Dermatologist

Week 7 Story: The Real Story of the Lovers' Leap